How to Apply


Click here to apply online:
Cal Poly Humboldt Office of Admissions 

There is no need to apply to the Music Department separate from your application to Cal Poly Humboldt. Simply indicate your interest in studying music when you apply. Typically, Humboldt students begin their Music degree in the Music Studies Concentration and then audition into the Music Education, Performance, or Composition Concentration sometime during their first two years at Humboldt. Upper division transfer students need to audition by the end of your first semester at Humboldt.


Supplemental Application

Supplemental Application for Incoming Music Majors
If you are coming to Humboldt as a music major, please fill out this supplemental application to give us additional information about your background in music.



Auditions for Fall 2024 enrollment in the Music Performance and Music Education concentrations will be held in Fulkerson Recital Hall on May 8, 2024 at 5:00pmInformation about audition requirements to move from the Music Studies Concentration into the Music Education, Performance, and Composition Concentrations may be found here: Audition Requirements for Concentrations


Incoming students, including both freshmen and transfer students, may apply for scholarships awarded by the Music Department.

You may apply through your student center (financial matters quick link) or by signing in hereThe online application opens on January 1st of each year for the following academic year, and closes on March 4th. 

As part of the application process, you will be asked to upload files of two contrasting audio/video examples of your playing. Please contact the music department if you have trouble uploading your recording. If preferred, incoming students applying for scholarships may come to campus in February for a live audition day (Saturday, February 10, 2018 for the 2018-2019 scholarship cycle). Accompaniment of your playing/singing is welcome but not required. 

For more information about individual scholarships, please go to: Music Department Scholarships.


All music majors are required to participate in one ensemble each semester. Information about Ensemble Requirements for your performing area may be found in the Student Handbook. For information about ensemble auditions, consult individual ensemble directors (listed in the class schedule).

Humboldt Ensembles
Ensemble Requirements (by instrument) are listed in the Music Student Handbook.


To learn more about Humboldt, schedule a visit or take a virtual tour, follow these links:

Visit Campus

Schedule a Visit

See Humboldt on flickr